Sky InsuranceBadger5
    Reverse Gear

Status

ESP Warning Light

I have an Audi A3 Sportback 2007 and my ESP warning light is on, does anyone know what this means as in what problem do I have

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    This could be down to a boost leak somewhere or a split breather pipe

Neutral

Status
    Hi,

Is the car quattro ? It just cost me over 800 to have the Haldex Control Unit replaced because this light was on, Esp is the Traction Control, and can be switched off, I doubt it is a boost leak, that would mean the 'engine fault' light would come on.

Another S3 owner....

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Richbod View Post
    Hi,

Is the car quattro ? It just cost me over 800 to have the Haldex Control Unit replaced because this light was on, Esp is the Traction Control, and can be switched off, I doubt it is a boost leak, that would mean the 'engine fault' light would come on.
    totally agree with the above comments on the possibility, but as usual and you have heard this countless times before - get it vagcom checked.

With regards to the ESP comment. I have heard a story about the early Audi TT's (and therefore early S3s-210bhp) where drivers would switch their ESP completely off and Audi decided to change it for safety concerns on the later 225 engines so that by switching the esp off you are in fact reverting to some other alternative default esp mapping - so it sounds like it's not completley off .
    Unless someone with more knowledge cares to comment.
    02 plate - 2002 - 225bhp - S3 - Ming Blue - completely standard - nuff said, OK there's a centre armrest, sunroof, BOSE speakers & black leather recaros, oh and the non OE chrome pack !

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    Hang on, whats this doing in the 8L section?

Could be your MAF though....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

2nd Gear

Status
    Try asking in the 8P section but if its just the ESP light on I would say that the ESP is turned off.
    I believe if their is a fault with the traction control system it turns off the ABS aswell as both systems are interconnected, so you would have the ESP and ABS lights on and you would have a flashing red ! and 3 dongs on startup.

Could be wrong tho.
    2001 Audi S3 - AMK 210bhp
    Tarox F2000 discs front - Tarox 401 Rallye+ pads
    Tarox F2000 discs rear - Tarox 112 Strada pads
    Goodridge brake lines
    TT pedals
    N249 bypass

Finally back on the road, have a HUGE list of mods and things to do now!

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoal007 View Post
    totally agree with the above comments on the possibility, but as usual and you have heard this countless times before - get it vagcom checked.

With regards to the ESP comment. I have heard a story about the early Audi TT's (and therefore early S3s-210bhp) where drivers would switch their ESP completely off and Audi decided to change it for safety concerns on the later 225 engines so that by switching the esp off you are in fact reverting to some other alternative default esp mapping - so it sounds like it's not completley off .
    Unless someone with more knowledge cares to comment.
    e46 bmw were the same you had to press and hold the esp for it to be competely off iirc

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    e46 bmw were the same you had to press and hold the esp for it to be competely off iirc
    Yep, thats exactly right.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Another S3 owner....

Status
    press and hold ? by pressing it once the light comes on to indicate it's off so are you suggesting to keep it pressed for a bit longer - how long ? Or do you mean keep the button pressed down until the light comes on rather than release it quickly to get the light on ?
    02 plate - 2002 - 225bhp - S3 - Ming Blue - completely standard - nuff said, OK there's a centre armrest, sunroof, BOSE speakers & black leather recaros, oh and the non OE chrome pack !

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    ESP light coming on could also be down to your tracking - if for instance you steering wheel is slightly out, vagcom will log it and occasionally switch your ESP off
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold