knocking, now whining and power problems at 70 mph+

Kathryn1809

Reaction score
Bought a A3, 2001 1.9tdi a couple of months back. Slight knocking coming from the front right hand side. Yesterday I started to get a whining noise from the same area, this is continuing to happen but only after it's warmed up, suspect bearing has gone?? And would the knocking be the track rod end? With regards the power, when you get to 70-75mph there's a bit of a lull in power and you are getting no more. Power is also reduced until the engine is switched off and then back on again and it's then back to normal. Had the air flow metre changed but it's made no difference. Humph!! Anyone got any ideas?? Much appreciated.

Sounds like its hitting limp mode if the powers coming back once the cars switched off, have you got vag com? The front knocking could be anything from top mounts to worn bushes im affraid.

Could very well be turbo causing the limp mode, not to frighten you, could be other things but age of car, sooty diesel & if its a vaned turbo, would stand to reason.

It's software that used for fault code finding, loggin etc, it covers virtualy every function you can think of to do with vag cars, have a look in the section above for members with it and get someone to scan your car for fault codes, that'll help give an indication of whats wrong.

There's one in Aberdeen but I don't want to hassle anyone, I'll stick it into the garage again. Last one couldn't find any fault hence the new airflow metre, I'll change garages me thinks! Thanks for your assistance.

Id ask someone off here first mate, they dont mind, they'll normaly do it for free or some beer tokens., they noramly know what their doing better than some garages do.

this could be sticky turbo vanes there is a inotec Turbo Clean Set you can get to clean the turbo but i would get a scan done first

this could be sticky turbo vanes there is a inotec Turbo Clean Set you can get to clean the turbo but i would get a scan done first

Dont waste your money on that stuff, it isnt that successful & only prelongs the inevitable if you dont remove & clean them by hand anyway.