problems starting...occasionaly???

kooch_481

Reaction score
i have an a3 1.8t AGU and occasionaly when i come to start my car she turns over but doesnt fire into life..she eventually does start after 10 - 15 seconds or so with a puff of smoke for exhaust and then she idles weirdly for a little bit and then she runs fine and sometimes starts first time with no dramas..

does any one have any idea what this could be maybe a coil pack or something fuel related??

I had this on my sisters polo, open the cover on the battery in engine bay,that has strip fuses in it, check there are no hairline cracks in them, if this is ok could be o2 sensor?

these are things i replaced and now the car works fine.

hope this helps

i have an a3 1.8t AGU and occasionaly when i come to start my car she turns over but doesnt fire into life..she eventually does start after 10 - 15 seconds or so with a puff of smoke for exhaust and then she idles weirdly for a little bit and then she runs fine and sometimes starts first time with no dramas..

does any one have any idea what this could be maybe a coil pack or something fuel related??

Sounds like fuel to me...

When was the fuel filter last changed?

im not sure.. i know it had a service bout a year ago...its weird cus it only happens occasionaly

im not sure.. i know it had a service bout a year ago...its weird cus it only happens occasionaly

Fuel filter not done on a service normally. Get one from euro car parts - less than a fiver. May be the problem, may not, but should be done anyway really...

Fuel filter not done on a service normally. Get one from euro car parts - less than a fiver. May be the problem, may not, but should be done anyway really...

listen to him, he knows what he is saying

fuel filter is worth changing. Need to get it on vagcom if possible, but first thought I had was crank sensor, only because I had a car with the same symptoms.

ok ill look into the fuel filter and then i want to get it on vag com....cheers for your help guys

Word of advice on changing the fuel filter.

1. Run the fuel to near enough empty
2. Take out the fuse
3. WEAR SOME GOGGLES - getting fuel in the eye isn't great

Word of advice on changing the fuel filter.

1. Run the fuel to near enough empty
2. Take out the fuse
3. WEAR SOME GOGGLES - getting fuel in the eye isn't great

LOL, heed this advice - fuel in the eye HURTS!

Also, don't do in when car has just been driven. Leave for a few hours, as the fuel pressure will have dropped, and when you unplug the filter, fuel spill will be more gentle.

Also - when removing the clips from the filter, DO NOT JUST PULL THEM. There is a bit on each clip you need to press to release them. Cleans the clips and have a good look at them, this will make it a lot more obvious.

Good info here: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?77475-Fuel-Filter!

i know this will sound stupid but wher abouts is the fuel filter located??? is it near the coolant tank...mines only an a3 not s3?

had s\me problem on my s3 recently and found the fuel filter to be leaking. would have thought it is in the same location on your a3 as they are pretty much the same engine. easier to get to with the car on a ramp but if its the same as mine its by the o/s/r wheel close to the sill / jacking point.

thanks alot guys...going to buy the filter today and hopefully it will sort out my problem...is there a certain fuse i should take out..and do you have to have little fuel in the tank cause mine is half full at the minute and dont want to waste much to get it low with the prices these days lo