Indicator switch?

Westy

Reaction score
Guys, is it common for the indicator switch to wear out at the bottom of the stalk?

The reason I ask is because when I put my indicators on, left or right, the blink a few times then stop. I can also hear a relay or something clicking behind the dash. If I put my hazard lights on I dont get the issue at all so I suspect its the switch. Any ideas?

most likely the relay mate which is built into the back of the hazard switch, dealer im afraid and around the £30-40 mark IIRC...easy fit though - get a small flatblade behind the outer edge of your piano black dash piece and lever it out (only two small clips which arent held that tightly) nothing to break dont worry....then you'll need to get the switch out, you'll work that bit out yaself ;)

most likely the relay mate which is built into the back of the hazard switch, dealer im afraid and around the £30-40 mark IIRC...easy fit though - get a small flatblade behind the outer edge of your piano black dash piece and lever it out (only two small clips which arent held that tightly) nothing to break dont worry....then you'll need to get the switch out, you'll work that bit out yaself ;)

Would the relay not effect the hazards as well?

nope not always...... depends if it has seprate circuits....i had pretty much exact same issue as you, except mine stopped working altogther yet hazards worked IIRC

I believe they work off the same relay, so im pretty sure it will be the hazard relay.

They both work off the same relay which is the hazard switch....think its 30 quid ish

I am having this problem too. Thanks for the advice.

oh and PM pjmspeedy as he can get OEM parts cheaper than the stealers

It comes out much the same as a head unit mate, you need to get somthing thin down each side and push the clips in before you can pull it out

I used two large thick paper clips, I made them into a long L shape then flatened them down with a hammer. Then you can slide them in above the clips, pull them back to sqeeze the clips in then you should be able to pull the switch out

Well I got it changed but it didn't turn out to be simple! The wire on the back of the connector block was all caught up behing the console so the relay wouldn't slide out. I had to take the head unit out and get my hand behind the console and free up the wire so I could get it out. Mission or what.

Anyway its all done now and it work so thanks guys. I also have a nice new indicator click noise due to the new relay.

was gonna say expect a new click....feels like a different car doesnt it :)

does it feel like a bit of a different car though? i thought mine did for the first few drives after changing

Yeah it feels much faster now :sly:

To be honest though it does have a more of a modern feel with a nice crisp click instead of the old faint crap one.

I cant believe we're talking about indicator relay clicks :whistle2:

Yeah it feels much faster now :sly:

To be honest though it does have a more of a modern feel with a nice crisp click instead of the old faint crap one.

I cant believe we're talking about indicator relay clicks :whistle2:

surreal aint it :)

Have you got the Part Number for the relay switch. I need to order one but need to make sure its the right thing i get. Cant just nip into town and get one as im in the middle of the North Sea!!

just ring Audi up, as long as you stipulate either facelift or non they will be able to find it

either that or join vagcat

just ring Audi up, as long as you stipulate either facelift or non they will be able to find it

either that or join vagcat

Its such a common fault that the Audi parts guy I spoke to said "ah yes, I know the part you mean" as soon as I mentioned hazard warning light relay. The hazard button and relay is all one part so you'll get a new button too.

Just had s little dig in my parts box, The part number is:

8l0 941 509 P

This was the correct part number in march 2009

Cheers Matt

so i phone Audi Aberdeen last week and say" Hi there. Im after the Hazard realy switch for a facelift S3. Reg X6** ***. Common fault apparantly" "ah yes" he replies "we've got that".

Get it delvered to my ol' mans house.....wrong part!! Idiots!

ome today so i'll pay them a visit with that part number