Help! Brake warning light on S3

banoffee

Reaction score
The yellow/orange light that looks like...

(O)

(With no ! inside) has recently come on and stays on every time the ignition is turned on. Have checked pads, fluid level (topped it up a fair bit) and the connector inside the LHS wheel arch - all good.

WTF? Does the system need resetting by a dealer/vag com now? Or is something horribly wrong?

(The brakes work fine)

Something wrong there mate, no doubt.

Obviously you've done your homework as you've checked all the right things.

What I would do at this point, to find out if it's a fault in the pad is disconnect the connector to the brake pad wear sensor, and bodge a paper clip in there, between the two terminals. That will complete the circuit and if the wiring is good, the light will go off.

If this is the case and the light goes off, it a problem with the actual sensor in the pad, or the wiring from it.

You need to isolate the fault first before continuing. If the paperclip test works, it's the pad, if not something is wrong elsewhere.

thanks for that. is this light definitely the brake pad one or is it for the ABS (or indeed are they all the same light?). I ask as there is another RED brake warning light I think?

Thanks - from that it's def the pad light then. Will try your suggestion tomorrow hopefully, thank you.

Btw did try that with the master cyl level sensor - made no difference.

Thanks - from that it's def the pad light then. Will try your suggestion tomorrow hopefully, thank you.

Btw did try that with the master cyl level sensor - made no difference.

The fault you have will definitely be the pad area, or related to. I had a similar problem, the cable had been touching the disc and worn through on it. This consequently broke the circuit bringing on the pad light.