Volks AutosEM Tuning
    Approx give and/or take

Status

CAM-BELT RELATED RATTLE ANYONE??

There was a faint rattle on start-up and on initial acceleration in any gear when I bought my S3 at 76k.

I had it's cam-belt and tensioner replaced immediately. The noise didn't stop.

Now at 99k, the noise is quite loud and aggrivating. It echoes through underground carparks, and rattles like a school ruler being twanged off the edge of a desk on start-up for a couple of seconds.

Does anyone have any idea what this could possibly be without physically looking into I??

Any help is much appreciated.

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    i had something similar on my last a3, it was infact the plastic cambelt cover, some of the retaining clips had been lost so it rattled every now and then when the engine moved a certain way! remove the cambelt cover (easy job) and see if it goes away, if so, just get some new clips and see if that sorts it out

6th Gear

Status
    Ibiza Cupra TDI

Gone:

Audi C5 RS 6 - Stage 2
    Audi 8L S3 - Revo'd

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    could also be the tensioner pulley rattling against the tensioner damper... this rarely get changed by dealers and have a habit of giving up the ghost leading to potential catastrophic engine failure... I have seen this happen on an S3 shortly (weeks) after a dealer had done a cambelt service....

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Smell my finger.

Status
    Mine has a rattle on start up but not anywhere near as bad as the one in that thread. Its more like an annoying tinny one that I cant track down. Could be the tensioner thouer
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 88888888 View Post
    There was a faint rattle on start-up and on initial acceleration in any gear when I bought my S3 at 76k.

I had it's cam-belt and tensioner replaced immediately. The noise didn't stop.

Now at 99k, the noise is quite loud and aggrivating. It echoes through underground carparks, and rattles like a school ruler being twanged off the edge of a desk on start-up for a couple of seconds.

Does anyone have any idea what this could possibly be without physically looking into I??

Any help is much appreciated.
    You say initial acceleration, so between 1k-2k rpm? or all the way through the rev range?

2nd Gear

Status
    Read this link: http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Arti...omplaints.aspx

However, a rattle while moving may be a more serious problem.

DC