nearly stalling 3 minutes after starting

jimmp

Reaction score
Hello Team!

I've got a problem with my 8L 1.8T quattro.

Car is an '01 and now has 102K on it but has seen main stealer servicing all it's life. I've personally spent an obscene amount on it (decent A3's hard to find where I am) and it is almost as sweet as a nut.

HOWEVER, more and more, after starting, 3 minutes in the engine nearly stalls, several warning lights come on then go out, the rev counter drops off then comes back and it JUST catches and keeps going.

Only happens when I'm at the lights. Incidentally, it's virtually undriveable for the 1st 60 seconds after starting; until the engine revs drop slightly. It doesn't register in data logging and doesn't generate a Fault Code. Runs absolutely fine other than that- never affects it "on load" only when stationary.

Please tell me somebody immediately knows what this is?!

Just bought a Haynes manual and there's NOTHING on engine management- schematics are useless cartoons.

Thanks

JimP

Vacuum leak sounds favourite, check fuel trims on VAGCOM (block 032) and check pipes/hoses under the inlet mani... most likely PCV pipes that have rotted and split

<tuffty/>

thanks for this!

(can't believe I got a response!)

It's already been through diagnostics with the Stealers and it registered nothing. However I'll take up local support!

Tufftybloke- what are the PCV pipes and where would I find them?

Took the Throttle Body off this afternoon and spent an hour cleaning it out...

JimP

Do these have a idle air control valve ?

If so check that out, the motors wear out on them !

hmm... well- I took off the Throttle Body yesterday and cleaned it out; it wasn't that bad and took the car to work this morning to see what would happen. It started and was driveable immediately which was amazing- no juddering or having to wait.
However, it still nearly stalled a couple of times 3 minutes in- checked all the hosing aroung the intake manifold and it's all in great nick- quite an odd engine bay for a car of 102K, it all looks in great condition.

Where does that leave me!!?

Think I might have found the Stat Valve- how do I add pictures?

In fact- can anyone point me to good diagram of the 1.8T engine? One that shows how all the induction piping goes round it and where all the ECU sensors and control units are...?

(don't want much do I...?)

JimP

possibly the knock sensor situated under the oil filter....£40 for non OEM part - vagcom will give half confirmation of it being that, but to me thats what it sounds like