ecu codes / new turbo

AndrewUkR6

Reaction score
Hi all,

Before I get my 1997 A3 T remapped I thought Id change the turbo... the most readily available being the K04 as my friends got a spare!

Im not sure if it will fit, hoping just need a downpipe and such but I guess I'll find out - What I need to know is where to find the ECU code for my car, as if its not re-writable then I guess a new turbo is not an option!

Thanks in advance, Andrew

It'll be written on the ecu itself, or you can plug in VAG-COM and read it off.

I'm assuming you are thinking of fitting the K04-20 charger from an S3/TT?

If so, you will need the S3/TT exhaust manifold as the K04 won't fit on yours. You will need bigger injectors. You will need to re-route the turbo air outlet to IC pipe as it will be way too close to the exhaust using the standard pipe. You want to run your pipework like RichA3Turbo has. You probably should go for a FMIC or the twin items from the TT/S3.

You will need to reposition one of the oxygen sensors to the top on the custom downpipe.
You'll probably need the S3/TT oil/water feed and return lines.

It'll be a fair bit of work, but you'll get good results.

Hope that helps.

thanks for your help, yes from an S3 but unused.

I can get the manifold... do i really need bigger injectors and for what reason?

Also you mention 'custom' downpipe - are you suggesting I'll need to get one fabricated or can I nab one from an s3?

Cheers, appreciate the info

You will need bigger injectors as you will need to supply extra fuel to cope with the extra air that the bigger turbo will pump in.

You could try a 4bar fuel pressure regulator on your standard injectors, but I don't think they would be able to flow enough, and would probably at the point where they are open all the time at WOT, not good.

There may be a possibilty that the s3 downpipe woul fit, but it involves fitting the twin cat system and possibly the middle section too. It would probably be easier to go to AMD or powerflow and get on fabricated.

If you know of a car with all the bits going (and it sounds like you do) then it would be worth trying the S3 downpipe just to see.