SAI pump question...

lloydsta101

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been meaning to get my Secondary Air Pump removed for some time now as it makes an extremely loud vacuum type noise on start up. I know there are a few guides knocking about on here, and I have got the basic idea of how to remove it and what needs blanking off etc. (I have already got the Forge Blanking Plate and Resistors ready for the job).

I haven't had a lot of time recently to have a go at it, but I was just wondering what would happen if I simply unplugged the electrical connector from the pump for the time being? Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I was only wondering if there would be any further complications than just no power going to the pump?

The pump is only in action for about 5-10 seconds anyway while I start up the engine and start to pull away... the annoying noise has usually gone before I even get into second gear, but I would love for it to not be there at all. Can I unplug the connector from the pump and dive the car without anything else being affected until I have time to remove it fully?

Thanks in advance for any answers... and sorry for the essay! :p

Lol, yeah the neighbours used to give me dodgy looks in the morning and my work colleagues asked if I was taking the jet when going home for lunch.

As I didn't get a response on here, I look the liberty of simply unplugging it anyway to see what happened. The noise disappeared and as far as I'm aware of it has caused no further complications, as the pump was only in action while I was starting up and pulling away anyway.

Apparently it's to warm the catalytic convertor up on cold starts, but a lot of people remove them and forge sell a blanking plate so they can't be that important.

Any pics of where the electrical connector from the pump is located :) ?

I keep getting an error in VAG-COM every now and again about my SAF, wouldn't mind unplugging it too.

Any pics of where the electrical connector from the pump is located :) ?

I keep getting an error in VAG-COM every now and again about my SAF, wouldn't mind unplugging it too.

As per s3dave's above link, all pics can be found there... I don't think you will clear the code simply by unplugging it though, as I think VAG-COM still looks for it when it's disconnected.

If you want to clear your code, you will need to follow the part in the guide about snipping the electrical connector off, soldering a resistor to the wires, taping it back up and re-connecting.