Monster MotorsportJMB Retrofits
    6th Gear

Status

coil pack wiring

i wanna do something with my coilpack wiring. under bonnet temps seem unreal on these cars and something i feel that is bound to become a casulty is gonna be the coil pack wiring.

mine seems generally intact at the mo.

i wanna devise a way of having it not clipped to the cam cover and having it in a protective/heat reflective/resistant jacket.

anyone got a common preventative fix? if not, ill let you know what i come up with

2. # ADS
    ADS

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt82 View Post
    i wanna do something with my coilpack wiring. under bonnet temps seem unreal on these cars and something i feel that is bound to become a casulty is gonna be the coil pack wiring.

mine seems generally intact at the mo.

i wanna devise a way of having it not clipped to the cam cover and having it in a protective/heat reflective/resistant jacket.

anyone got a common preventative fix? if not, ill let you know what i come up with
    Shrink wrap is the best way.... Electrical tape also work well to be honest though.

I did a thread on this ages ago... here: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthr...s3+coil+wiring
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

6th Gear

Status
    http://www.lindy.co.uk/expandable-br...10m/40287.html
    hmmm looking at this sort of route

Status
    Yep, that would work I guess. I would do the wires individually though, as many of the problems come from cracks in the wires shorting out with other wires in the loom, rather than earthing to the rocker cover.

I know it's a protective measure, but when you de-loom it all, expect to find some cracks! These lumps are notorious for it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Homer Simpson

6th Gear

Status
    http://www.s-w-a.co.uk/page3/page36/page71/page71.html
    this

http://www.s-w-a.co.uk/page3/page36/...20sleeving.pdf

i may go along the lines of renewing the cable too but i think heat resistance like that future proofs it for me

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Welly View Post
    Yep, that would work I guess. I would do the wires individually though, as many of the problems come from cracks in the wires shorting out with other wires in the loom, rather than earthing to the rocker cover.

I know it's a protective measure, but when you de-loom it all, expect to find some cracks! These lumps are notorious for it.

im amazed at how hot it gets under the lid without anything spontaneously combusting. will keep an eye out for other things to sort too

Status
    im amazed at how hot it gets under the lid without anything spontaneously combusting. will keep an eye out for other things to sort too
    Good shout. That stuff in the post above looks to be just the ticket, thats what I'd go with.

Mine gets very hot under the hood - am planning to raise the back of the bonnet in an RS Turbo fashion to aid cooling.

And look wicked bo obviously.
    Homer Simpson

6th Gear

Status
    yknow the rubber trim bertwen the bonnet and slam panel. take it out

does wonders for under bonnet temps

Status
    Done that, as well as cutting a slot out of the rubber at the back on the bulkhead, trying to get some air moving through there.

The amount of boost being generated by the blower is the problem, and she gets VERY hot. Heat soak to the max.

Plan to relocate my outside temp sensor to under the bonnet to monitor temps now, then raise the back of the bonnet and then monitor temps again and note differences.
    Homer Simpson

6th Gear

Status
    zakly. i did this a few cars back. put the outside temp sensor in the airbox

love being a geek

Status
    zakly. i did this a few cars back. put the outside temp sensor in the airbox

love being a geek
    I did that also on an old car. Most useful.

Whats wrong with being a geek? You just have to hide it well.

Chicks don't dig.
    Homer Simpson

6th Gear

Status
    they do. its common knowledge that geek OWN in the bed and that scool girls love dump valve sounds (in bed)

Status
    they do. its common knowledge that geek OWN in the bed and that scool girls love dump valve sounds (in bed)
    WTF?? LOL
    Homer Simpson

6th Gear

Status
    (bringing it back on track), how about using the protective heat sleave that covers the coilpack wiring loom thats fitted on the 225bhp engines?

There must be plenty of them around in the breakers yards I would have thought. It also proves that VAG know that there is a heat issue with these engines although the KO3/s equiped cars didn't come with them from the factory, it's gotta be of some (if limited) use.
    Imteyaz.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Imteyaz View Post
    (bringing it back on track), how about using the protective heat sleave that covers the coilpack wiring loom thats fitted on the 225bhp engines?

There must be plenty of them around in the breakers yards I would have thought. It also proves that VAG know that there is a heat issue with these engines although the KO3/s equiped cars didn't come with them from the factory, it's gotta be of some (if limited) use.
    Yeah, I've got one. Makes sod all difference really to be honest dude. Well, may help a bit, but not much IMO.
    Homer Simpson