Dose this sound like the water pump?

Bignick

Reaction score
Diving along this afternoon and the temp warning symbol came up on the dash, the needle went straight up to 120 and stayed there. I was on a duel carrige way at the time so i had to keep going. On with the heaters and minimal rpm, i cruised home and the temp stayed at 120!! When i opend the bonnet you could hear the engine contents boiling for about 15 mins. And then later on i checked, and about half a ltr of coolant was missing out of the expantion tank, and when i turned the ignition on it warned about temp with out even starting it. Would a diagnostic be worth doing? or will the water pump have to be removed?
I changed the thermostat about 8 months ago and the needle always stays in the center. Any help would be apreciated.

Last edited:
Ye, if the engine has a loss of coolant the light will sound as soon as the ignition is on. Give a quick check on the floor and around the pipes leaving and entering the engine and rad to see any fluid loss.

To do a quick test on the water pump you can start the car and quickly remove the hose at the top of the expansion cap and if water is coming out then the water pump is still pumping water around.

Nathan

No worries dude. Report back on what you find.

Nath

Mine did this & it was indeed the waterpump, the plastic impellor had snapped in half when I changed it, I put a metal one in & changed the cambelt & tensioners, £150 for the parts from eurocarparts & 4-5 hrs labour for me & my brother.
I think at a garage it will be around £400-£500 all inc.

Mine did this & it was indeed the waterpump, the plastic impellor had snapped in half when I changed it, I put a metal one in & changed the cambelt & tensioners, £150 for the parts from eurocarparts & 4-5 hrs labour for me & my brother.
I think at a garage it will be around £400-£500 all inc.

Had our AUM 1.8 T done shortly after buying it, 70k. Cost just short of £395, Cambelt Kit, Water pump, Damper, Coolent, PAS fluid. The water pump they replaced had a plastic impeller that had snapped in half!!. Now has metal impeller of course.

I've just taken the pipe off the expansion tank and fired it up and no fluid came from the pipe, however the pipe looks tiny and it goes to a metal pipe that is only about 5mm which runs across the bulkhead, Is that the right pipe?