Monster MotorsportVolks Autos
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: FMIC fitted incorporating the 2 SMIC,s

TFSI Hybrid

Status

FMIC fitted incorporating the 2 SMIC,s

As above, bought a slim FMIC of ebay and fitted in one big loop using the existing SMIC,s 63mm pipework

What a result!! slightly quicker spool up the engine just feels soooooo fresh even got rid of a slight stutter on tickover!
    running for 1 hour, ambient temps 19 intake temps 35 on full boost drops to 20 degrees everytime all the time so happy... all for...........42..whoop whoop.. brand new, it was a complete kit for a honda prelude.... no chopping out the crash bar! kept my fogs the grill will go back on too when i am bored with the look or it gets pitted, next im getting my hybrid, custom mapped... comments welcome...

Uploaded with ImageShack.

Last edited by s3dave; 18th July 2010 at 21:39.
    m19lte likes this.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st gear

Status
    personally cant see how it could possibly spool up quicker as all you have done is replaced the metal boost pipe with an intercooler making more volume for the turbo to fill, i think you've made it better for keeping temps down but worse for spooling up. surely it would be better to remove the smic's.
    09 white black edition a3 2.0 tdi 😃
    99 silver apy s3 - revo stage 2 mapped - relentless downpipe + sports cat - cat back milltek - fmic - piper x panel filter - silicone tip - forge 007 - vmaxx coilys - andy mac stealth sub - wilwood 4pots and r32 discs - h &r spacers - bbs ch wheels or std gunmetal grey alloys

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    nice job Dave....although as above, fail to see what you've acheived by keeping the original SMIC's..... best solution is a decent fmic and remove the SMIC's as they simply arent that efficient.....
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    the volume, of the large pipe my friend, was more than the fmic

Works 60% the time, Everytime.

Status
    Not feeling the badge lol

2003 Audi S3 + Go faster bits

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 1animal1 View Post
    nice job Dave....although as above, fail to see what you've acheived by keeping the original SMIC's..... best solution is a decent fmic and remove the SMIC's as they simply arent that efficient.....
    as i see it they are not doing any harm , and fitting a larger intercooler,cutting the crash /SAFETY BAR...... hiding 60% - 70% of the cooler behind the bumper with no forced air seems bizarre...just thinking from an engineers point of view...of course
    m19lte likes this.

6th Gear

Status
    Looks good Dave, let me know when you can do mine for me Do you think you could possibly get a slightly bigger cooler?
    3.2 V6 with Custom Code VVT Attack Software

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MintyS3 View Post
    Not feeling the badge lol
    lol yeah that was put on in a mad euphoric moment.....

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sandip View Post
    Looks good Dave, let me know when you can do mine for me Do you think you could possibly get a slightly bigger cooler?
    cheers, it was pretty much maxed out where it sits to the bottom of the bumper.. maybe an inch taller...

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    hey Dave i aint arguing mate...the idea of the fmic is of course to ensure the maximum surface area is hit by the colder air, the reason people have mostly dumped their SMIC's is because the cold air feed to these is very inefficient and so the area is better spent more centrally (where the FMIC is located)......thats why a larger more central fmic is preferred

im not coming on here to slate what you have done, i congratulate you for managing to keep them and the fogs - what i am saying is that in theory what you have done is ina way pointless to a certain degree.....being an engineer this must make sense surely?

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    hey Dave i aint arguing mate...the idea of the fmic is of course to ensure the maximum surface area is hit by the colder air, the reason people have mostly dumped their SMIC's is because the cold air feed to these is very inefficient and so the area is better spent more centrally (where the FMIC is located)......thats why a larger more central fmic is preferred

im not coming on here to slate what you have done, i congratulate you for managing to keep them and the fogs - what i am saying is that in theory what you have done is ina way pointless to a certain degree.....being an engineer this must make sense surely?
    lol i am not arguing either,, peace....lol
    no i cant see what you are saying,the smic work... not very efficiantly but they do work... so why not leave them on with the fmic? every little helps...so they say

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    they do but do you fit one fmic that does a much higher level of cooling than the SMIC's and will happily do the job very well and well within the limits that you require and with a certain level of surface area....or do you increase the surface area with far less efficient items and introduce more lag, all you have done is create more lag through the network of obstructions/air mass

this is why most people get rid of them...not because they have to

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    they do but do you fit one fmic that does a much higher level of cooling than the SMIC's and will happily do the job very well and well within the limits that you require and with a certain level of surface area....or do you increase the surface area with far less efficient items and introduce more lag, all you have done is create more lag through the network of obstructions/air mass

this is why most people get rid of them...not because they have to
    most people get rid of them because everybody else does.....so its got to be right.....right?
    i can assure you i have less lag than before, anyway im happy with the results maybe when i get a custom map things maybe different, but temps are excellent as things stand, if i have to have a bigger ic i would get the 8p bumper for sure....
    m19lte likes this.

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    nope your completely wrong....people that know and have a history on these cars have removed them by using simple logic based around making the best use of the intercoolers connected without increasing the air mass too much..... i can assure you, you will have introduced more lag... you have replaced a pipe with an FMIC which carries more air, that said i know of one person who kept one of their SMIC's, and even he said it wasnt needed - its simple theory really, if an FMIC attracts a lower temp than the residing SMIC then surely it is completely ludicrous to keep the lower efficiency items as the surface area is more inefficient than the equivailent FMIC - i cant see how many other ways i can tell you this

good work as i said above, but the best way of doing things? i would bet a limb not

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    nope your completely wrong....people that know and have a history on these cars have removed them by using simple logic based around making the best use of the intercoolers connected without increasing the air mass too much..... i can assure you, you will have introduced more lag... you have replaced a pipe with an FMIC which carries more air, that said i know of one person who kept one of their SMIC's, and even he said it wasnt needed - its simple theory really, if an FMIC attracts a lower temp than the residing SMIC then surely it is completely ludicrous to keep the lower efficiency items as the surface area is more inefficient than the equivailent FMIC - i cant see how many other ways i can tell you this

good work as i said above, but the best way of doing things? i would bet a limb not
    lol... most of the larger fmics are hidden behind the bumper... yes or no? warm air rises so the hottest part of the large fmics are getting 0% forced air,if the bumper had more slats, of course it would be better to delete the smics , my fmic is working 100% so i am h.a.p.p.y.....lol

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    i didnt say fit a larger one did i

my point is not to argue, more a case of what you have done is completely pointless, you could have fitted 12 intercoolers in succession and it would be 100% working...... to its maximum efficiency though? we both know the answer

well done though, at least you wont have too much to put back on if you go back to the original set up

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    i didnt say fit a larger one did i

my point is not to argue, more a case of what you have done is completely pointless, you could have fitted 12 intercoolers in succession and it would be 100% working...... to its maximum efficiency though? we both know the answer

well done though, at least you wont have too much to put back on if you go back to the original set up
    ok if i have any problems i will let you know thanks.....im tired lol

3rd Gear

Status
    how small is it...overall and core size?

1st Gear

Status
    I'm with Dave on this one, the SMIC do work to a degree, adding the FMIC he has helps cooling, it prob flows as much air through it as the long boost pipe, so prob has less or the same amount of 'lag' as you put it.
    I'm also with him on the 'most of the larger FMIC are hidden behind the bumper/crash bar, which has also been weakened by cutting it' quote. Unless the intercooler has a cowling to it like some rads do to 'channel' the air directly to it, all it will do is go around it... more efficient, no I don't think so.
    Good on you Dave for being different, I hope it works with a stage 2 map on it mate, I hope it works out as I'm not keen on butchering the crash bar myself & you manage to keep OE look if you put the grill back in.
    m19lte likes this.
    Ebony black 99 S3, Forge 007, cone filter, goodridge braided lines, apex lowering springs. More to come...

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    ok chaps we shall dismiss all the previous jobs as utter trash....yours is definately the best way of doing things and im sure a square intercooler will flow exactly the same as a much smaller pipe (why wouldnt it).... makes absolute sense,cant see why i didnt understand in the first instance

the fact that your air now flows through 3 square items and will have a longer distance to travel along with a likely higher surface area of air, more of which is more inefficient than your slightly larger FMIC......

but congratulations for being different as thats what its all about.....

im seriously considering going down the huge fmic route, although i will be putting the 8P front bumper on too along with some silver 3D flame strips to stop my doors getting scratched as i think they will compliment each other, might even go for bonnet vents, although i want to be different so might choose bolsa wood slats

lordy

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    At the end of the day as long as this setup is reducing intake temps and not effecting the car in anyway it's been a success. Personally though I would remove the passenger SMIC so I could run a bigger air feed into the airbox but keep the drivers side SMIC.

Nice to see something different though.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Chlippo View Post
    how small is it...overall and core size?
    700mm x 195mm x 80mm core size unknown

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    ok chaps we shall dismiss all the previous jobs as utter trash....yours is definately the best way of doing things and im sure a square intercooler will flow exactly the same as a much smaller pipe (why wouldnt it).... makes absolute sense,cant see why i didnt understand in the first instance

the fact that your air now flows through 3 square items and will have a longer distance to travel along with a likely higher surface area of air, more of which is more inefficient than your slightly larger FMIC......

but congratulations for being different as thats what its all about.....

im seriously considering going down the huge fmic route, although i will be putting the 8P front bumper on too along with some silver 3D flame strips to stop my doors getting scratched as i think they will compliment each other, might even go for bonnet vents, although i want to be different so might choose bolsa wood slats

lordy
    Hang on a minute, i have not slated what other people have done, infact i very much appreciate all the time and effort that goes into these mods, i have just tried a different route...... everybody wants the best out of there cars whether it is one way or another...

i think the flame stickers would be faster in red...

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    I think the flame stickers would be faster in red...
    Don't forget the Supra spoiler as well....

Bottom line IMO is that if it works for you, and you're happy with it, then sweet. End of.

Intake temps are down, so you've achieved what you set out to do! Not the generally accepted way of doing it, but that makes no odds really.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    Hang on a minute, i have not slated what other people have done, infact i very much appreciate all the time and effort that goes into these mods, i have just tried a different route...... everybody wants the best out of there cars whether it is one way or another...

i think the flame stickers would be faster in red...
    I think it was more aimed at me Dave.. Doesn't bother me, as has been said, you did it differently (& cheaply)& it works, end of mate
    Ebony black 99 S3, Forge 007, cone filter, goodridge braided lines, apex lowering springs. More to come...

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    na fair play..... like i said, good work Dave

apologies if i came across too abrupt

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    I see where you coming from with it. You must have had a boost leak to incease spool up.

If you are happy, it's all that matters.

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Byzan A4 View Post
    I see where you coming from with it. You must have had a boost leak to incease spool up.

If you are happy, it's all that matters.
    Yes must have had a slight leak on the bottom pipe as my tickover is steady now, so all good

Pocket now empty

Status
    OMG......... I thought my bird gave me stick.

Good on Ya S3Dave.
    Inertiauk likes this.
    Revo Stage 2 with all the Gear
    BHP = 274 / Torque = 293

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    <<<< loves it when people miss the point entirely

well done Dave

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    ahh u all sound like a bunch of old ladies!

its different Dave and it works. Good on ya.

lots of ppl dont like my carbonio and say green cotton filter is better. I say sod off to them tbh. a green cotton filter doesnt sound like darth vader is hiding under the bonnet!
    Last edited by Broken Byzan; 19th July 2010 at 16:53. Reason: swearing

Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA3 View Post
    lots of ppl dont like my carbonio and say green cotton filter is better. I say **** off to them tbh. a green cotton filter doesnt sound like darth vader is hiding under the bonnet!
    Don't beat around the bush now, tell us what you really think dude! LOL
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Homer Simpson

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    i want an 8P

6th Gear

Status
    love this thread. thinking outside the box. not enough of it in the 20vt community

6th Gear

Status
    but is there any point making lots of noise without getting down the road quickly?!!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveA3 View Post
    ahh u all sound like a bunch of old ladies!

its different Dave and it works. Good on ya.

lots of ppl dont like my carbonio and say green cotton filter is better. I say **** off to them tbh. a green cotton filter doesnt sound like darth vader is hiding under the bonnet!

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt82 View Post
    but is there any point making lots of noise without getting down the road quickly?!!
    not like its a 1.6 now is it and a green cotton doesnt add any more power than a carbonio. so it dont really matter may aswell have a nice sound.

im slowly getting there with me mods just dont wanna spank it all on credit card for the sake of having it now kinda thing.

remap next then i will be moving fairly quickly

oh and i agree with ur post above matt. loads of out the box kinda thinkin on the french car forums dunno if they're more of a bodge tho lol

Quote Originally Posted by Welly View Post
    Don't beat around the bush now, tell us what you really think dude! LOL
    haha not always the best way but it was necessary

Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

6th Gear

Status
    > loads of out the box kinda thinkin on the french car forums dunno if they're more of a bodge tho lol

on sites like this everyone will do exaclty what everyone else does, almost without exception. using a bit of thought ive got my ARZ golf with a ko3 (custom code stage 1 plus my special tweaks) to match a ko3s stage 2 car (fmic, turbo back, stage 2 software) just with normal well thought out tuning methods rather than paint by number rubbish

Status
    > loads of out the box kinda thinkin on the french car forums dunno if they're more of a bodge tho lol

on sites like this everyone will do exaclty what everyone else does, almost without exception. using a bit of thought ive got my ARZ golf with a ko3 (custom code stage 1 plus my special tweaks) to match a ko3s stage 2 car (fmic, turbo back, stage 2 software) just with normal well thought out tuning methods rather than paint by number rubbish
    As in air flow readings or power output?
    Homer Simpson

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status

yup im curious if you have managed to get ko3s power from a ko3 and how you have measured it?

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Here we go again!
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.