FMIC fitted incorporating the 2 SMIC,s

interesting...what route did you take Dave as Ess three had a slightly different set up, he had forge customise a golf SMIC for his drivers side then had a weird combo of pipes IIRC to the FMIC so as to miss the fogs

interesting...what route did you take Dave as Ess three had a slightly different set up, he had forge customise a golf SMIC for his drivers side then had a weird combo of pipes IIRC to the FMIC so as to miss the fogs
a 45 and 90 degree drivers and 2 X 90s passenger side.... smics still on the same mounts, to be honest the pipe work is not even near the fogs but does press on the fog surround/grill a little more than i would have liked.

Last edited:
This was Ess_Three's:

27112919-18e7-02000180-.jpg

27112918-cb01-02000180-.jpg

27113050-83c7-02000180-.jpg

This is the sort of thing i'm going to try and do on the cheap. Keep the standard drivers smic and get an ebay fmic then remove passenger smic and run a 4" induction hose where it used to be.

hmmmm, im defo doing away with both SMIC's purely to reduce volume based upon Tuftys results - most likely going for AH i think - total cost £350 including piping

hmmmm, im defo doing away with both SMIC's purely to reduce volume based upon Tuftys results - most likely going for AH i think - total cost £350 including piping

I was going to go with that too but if I can make the actual job of fitting all the gear easier I'll just bin one SMIC and save a few hundred £££ in the process. At the end of the day i'm using the car as a daily driver so any system that brings down the AITs will do me as long as it doesn't effect the cars performance. It seemed to work nicely for Glenn with his K04 so it'll do for me.

yarp fair enough mate..... Glen did go for a Forge FMIC and golf SMIC though so you are talking a completely different system, you looked at the pheasability of it?

yarp fair enough mate..... Glen did go for a Forge FMIC and golf SMIC though so you are talking a completely different system, you looked at the pheasability of it?

Nope. If it doesn't work I'll bang the fmic back on ebay then get an AH fab one and it'll be a lesson learnt. I can then post up on here and tell people not to bother, a bit like what Welly does on a regular basis :icon_thumright:

haha yeah glad he does, saves us a lot of time!! when ya planning on doing this then? curious as mine will be being done in next two months if i keep it

haha yeah glad he does, saves us a lot of time!! when ya planning on doing this then? curious as mine will be being done in next two months if i keep it

Well my friend, if my car makes it back from this weekends Nurburgring trip unscathed I will look to get it done in the next 2 months too depending on how cheap I can get an ebay FMIC.

I'll try and get some AIT/timing figures while i'm doing a lap of the ring to see how bad its getting in a track situation. Should be a laugh!

I was planning on doing my sub £200 fmic this month but my suspension venture has stopped that haha.

ouch!!! :)

What can i say, the company i work for have gifted me internet access, it would be rude not to use it ;)

hehehe...he is just doing it for the company...if he dont post they will remove the internet connection! :p

yes my car is an S3, and i dont have fogs lol they got stolen with the grills first day i got the car and now it looks like
4596528381_971cc4c9a2_o.jpg

Yeah but seriously Tim, do you get much work done? I'm in an IT job and i'm only posting every half hour or so.

yeah course i do mate..... but as a relationship manager, all i do all day is ring up my accounts - easy peasy :)
slightly more technical but thats the gist ;)

Tim what do you mean "if you keep it" are you thinking of selling?

I had the same idea a few weeks ago, but after a bit more talk with people who had fmic they though the air flow is a bit more restricted and I could save some weigh but to be honest I love what you have done and I would do the same thing and I am sure it will work just fine. Well done mate. Please send me the link where I could get same pipes as I have similar size fmic already.

I had the same idea a few weeks ago, but after a bit more talk with people who had fmic they though the air flow is a bit more restricted and I could save some weigh but to be honest I love what you have done and I would do the same thing and I am sure it will work just fine. Well done mate. Please send me the link where I could get same pipes as I have similar size fmic already.
uk-performance-uk (ebay)
this is the guy i got my kit off, if you already have the cooler you just need 3 x 90 bends 1 x 45 and some straight joiners and stainless clamps

Dave, what are your AIT's like now, how much above ambient temperature are they with your FMIC.

Nathan

yes all seems fine..

ahh - and how do you quantify this?

logged n75 duty cycle before fitment and after? likely higher duty cycle after to overcome additional losses.

I mention it because, several years ago, when ibiza cupra's were new, someone came up with a dual pass fmic.. several people lept at it as at the time little other available items were about.. Now they definately had lower ait temps once fitted, BUT, also lost a few psi across the core, as some of them running high boost found out. (they had lost boost) but gained lower ait's. All of them were loosing pressure from the effective longer core, and n75 duty cycles where not already max'd were higher as the turbo had to work harder to achieve its boost and flow.

unless you have logged before and after, you wont be able to quantify this so well.

ahh - and how do you quantify this?

logged n75 duty cycle before fitment and after? likely higher duty cycle after to overcome additional losses.

I mention it because, several years ago, when ibiza cupra's were new, someone came up with a dual pass fmic.. several people lept at it as at the time little other available items were about.. Now they definately had lower ait temps once fitted, BUT, also lost a few psi across the core, as some of them running high boost found out. (they had lost boost) but gained lower ait's. All of them were loosing pressure from the effective longer core, and n75 duty cycles where not already max'd were higher as the turbo had to work harder to achieve its boost and flow.

unless you have logged before and after, you wont be able to quantify this so well.
i see what you mean the answer is no then, but i dont use the n75 either, there was not much difference in air from the large pipe underneath and my fmic.

Cheers lads. Would you both mind divuldging (or PM'ing me) the approximate costs of your setups?

I'm contemplating Bill 3" TIP and would like to maximise potential by installing better IC'ing at the same time.

Cheers lads. Would you both mind divuldging (or PM'ing me) the approximate costs of your setups?

I'm contemplating Bill 3" TIP and would like to maximise potential by installing better IC'ing at the same time.

Might as well keep it all in this thread mate.

All the gear i'm looking at comes to just over £200. That is for the core, pipework, clips, and 4" ducting for my airbox ;)

Might as well keep it all in this thread mate.

All the gear i'm looking at comes to just over £200. That is for the core, pipework, clips, and 4" ducting for my airbox ;)

That's sounding good mate. Can you keep us in the loop when you go ahead as I'll probably do the same thing at the same time :)