Genuine coilpacks or others?

Westy

Reaction score
Since fitting my new TIP it appears to have highlighted some weak coilpacks on my car! Just limped my car home 5 miles and plugged VCDS in to find that I have missfires on cylinders 3 and 4. I'm thinking about just purchasing 4 new coilpacks to be on the safe side and keeping the packs from cylinders 1 & 2 as backups.

My question is: Should I stick to genuine VAG coils at £35 each or do the Euro Car Parts or other equivelant work just as well?

I've been looking on ECP and I can get a few different types:

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/k/coilpack/p/Car-Parts

Genuine all day long....

Check your plug gaps too... stage 1 mapped cars should be 0.7mm... too large a gap and the coil pack will struggle into early retirement...

<tuffty/>

Would need a set of feeler gauges and a spark plug socket... take each plug out in turn and check the gap... if they have set to std then they should be 0.8mm... 0.1mm doesn't sound a lot but surprising what a diff it makes...

Ironically this was the first piece of advice I ever got from a forum member... Mark, love yah big man!!! :icon_thumright:

<tuffty/>

Thatnks for the advice Paul

The plugs I had previous to the service would also have been set to standard, 4 rings did that too so I think the packs are just old and need replacing....... I hope!

Ok put 4 new coil packs on this morning and my car feels brand new! They must have been on their way out because the car used to be quite hesitant in places and also it wouldn't start and idle that smoothly. This could be the secret to the mysterious cold start issue that people have been having too because my car started on the button after 2 days of not being started.

did you pull the plugs to have a look at those too?

did you pull the plugs to have a look at those too?

Nope as I dont have the tools! If i get any more issues with the packs blowing I'll get it up to my mates garage for him to check over. I dont have much time this week as I'm off to the Nurburgring on Friday so I'll probably get him to check them when I return.

what colour temp? ive got a spare pair at home doing nothing. 6000k, H1 type

Did you buy Genuine Audi Coil Packs ? How much were they ?

doood the OPE was from Euro werent as up to date as the OE ones from Audi when i last purchased...im sure they will be fine but there has been quite a few variants/updates

glad its sorted though ;)