Interior light won't go off when I close the drivers door!?!

paneristi232

Reaction score
Good afternoon chaps, my car has just picked up a small but very annoying problem. When you get in it and close the drivers door the display on the dash says that the door is still open, subsequently meaning the interior light will not switch itself off. It doesn't do it in the cold i.e. first thing in the morning but when the car has been in the sun for a day and is hot inside it does. Has anyone else experienced this that could point me in the right direction. I think it must be something to do with the lock because if you open the passenger door and press the latch as though it is shut the door symbol on the dash goes out where as if you do the same with the drivers door it doesn't!

Many thanks Jamie

Very very common issue.

Various fixes:

1. Take door apart to replace the switch
2. Douse the lock internals with WD40
3. Stick a coat hanger in to get the switch latch and clean it up a bit.
4. Give it a quality slam shut
5. Drive for a bit to cool down the car then slam the door shut
6. Turn off the interior light, switch off the DIS and drive as normal

Common door switch problem... I have the same... also had it on the boot switch, took the boot lid trims off, cleaned the switch/mech with brake cleaner then sprayed wd40 in... not had a prob since..

<tuffty/>

The most permenant fix i have come across is replacement, there are tweaks of bending rods, cleaning, replacing impossible to get microswitches, but it all seems to lead to the £90 replacement part to fix it

I suffer from same issue. Just started. Gonna replace mine when I get round to it.

Thanks very much for the replies, seems to be sorted now as the interior light is going of straight away every time.

This is exactly the reason I signed up to this forum, lots of help, plenty of opinions and little or no bitching. Perfect.

Thanks again J