S3 rear strut brace! Who wants one.

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
Afternoon boys and girls.

Like the title says, who would want a rear strut for their s3?

Not too sure who goes on seatcupra.net on here, but there has been several group buys for these, they are a excellent piece of kit constructed from stainless steel. They are made hughes engineering and retail for around £75 for the mk1 leon ones.

The only thin i need is pics of the s3 boot space showing the rear suspension turrets if anyone has one.

Won't work on an S3 or A3 quattro mate... no strut tops like FWD... rear damper fixing points are different...

Pic for ref too ;P

20100630_IMG_6755.jpg

<tuffty/>

Last edited:
Aww :(, that's sh*te then, so there would be no chance of fabricating one then?

Aww :(, that's sh*te then, so there would be no chance of fabricating one then?

Anything can be made mate... prob is where to fix it too... strut tops are generally used as they are structural... you 'could' brace across the top of the wheel arches maybe but would need plates etc to sure it all up etc... plus the S3 boots are better equipped than our SEAT brethren and would need the trim modding too...
20100701_IMG_6785.jpg

<tuffty/>

I was thinking about the wheel arches.

The trim is a problem, it would have tobe cut wouldnt it to allow any type of fitment.

i thought the top of the rear struts attached to the chassis, level with the floor pan of the boot, so is pretty stiff anyway?

dont these things have quite a substantial rear subframe?

i thought the top of the rear struts attached to the chassis, level with the floor pan of the boot, so is pretty stiff anyway?

Its not that bit that twists... the strut tops are referenced purely as this is typically an easier and strong enough place to fit a brace... ideally you would weld brackets or brace as part of a full cage that itself stiffens the shell... not the most practical aftermarket solution though :)

<tuffty/>

so would a rear strut brace benefit the s3?

not really, as mentioned the tops of the struts come level with the floor pan so already stiff and roll and twisting will already be limited between the rear shocks, a full roll cage would be the way to add stiffness or additional strengthing of the floor pan between the rear struts.

was gonna ask where you got this idea from Dani :)

stop fannying about looking for things to do....get the thing mapped!! :)

I know :(, i keep going to buck it, the only thing stopping me is the clutch's biting point is virtualy off the clutch, theres no slip at all etc but knowing my luck the clutch will go once i get it mapped, what you guys think?

Its the cost of fitting thats the bitter pill... clutch cost me less than £100 from GSF... and of course the DM flywheel could be ******** which is another £250

<tuffty/>

Anything can be made mate... prob is where to fix it too... strut tops are generally used as they are structural... you 'could' brace across the top of the wheel arches maybe but would need plates etc to sure it all up etc... plus the S3 boots are better equipped than our SEAT brethren and would need the trim modding too...
20100701_IMG_6785.jpg

<tuffty/>

How the car handle without the rear seat, did you notice any change in performance.

Nathan

Its the cost of fitting thats the bitter pill... clutch cost me less than £100 from GSF... and of course the DM flywheel could be ******** which is another £250

<tuffty/>

yup and if your BAM theres two FW's @ GSF...one does any engine and the BAM only is £100 more IIRC...but no point in dropping it all again - Audi book states 11 hours labour, unsure if thats one way or not :)

Well i think im going to go sach clutch and SMF, may use the one andy's running. Should be fun :).

How the car handle without the rear seat, did you notice any change in performance.

Nathan

most of the time I had tools in the back (mobile shed whilst fitting) so no, not really.. the seat backs (especially the 60 split) was heavy though...

<tuffty/>

Aw fair enough. I been 50/50 weather to do mine or not.

May do it for a weekend to see how it feels.

Nath