Whats this?

S3-Oski

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know what this valve is?

Basically it looks like the recirc valve but is a a bit bigger,

And is on the right hand side of the engine, and is below the recirc valve?

Sorry for the vague description lol.

You mean the black mushroom shaped thing?

its the PCV pancake valve, aka 034 valve, aka puck valve,aka pressure regulator valve. It regulates the flow from the crankcase and head breathers with the intake.

You mean the black mushroom shaped thing?

Hi mate i think so i try and get a pic of it, its black plastic, and has i think 3 hoses coming off it, looks like the recirc valave but bigger, and is near the throttle body?

Hi mate i think so i try and get a pic of it, its black plastic, and has i think 3 hoses coming off it, looks like the recirc valave but bigger, and is near the throttle body?

3 hoses and near the throttle body? Doesn't quite sound like the pancake valve then...

3 hoses and near the throttle body? Doesn't quite sound like the pancake valve then...

Hi mate, sorry it may not be near the throttle body lol, its on the right hand side, and i think level with the engine, in between that and the air box, irrc, it has audi rings on top, and a few hoses off it? round in shape,i have found a big split in the pipe and trying to ID the part, its coming off, thanks

yeah, its definately the PCV valve you are describing. The hoses are known to split... I have replaced mine with silicone ones, but mine is an A3 so the parts numbers are probably different from the S3

yeah, its definately the PCV valve you are describing. The hoses are known to split... I have replaced mine with silicone ones, but mine is an A3 so the parts numbers are probably different from the S3

Hi mate thanks for that, i will get some pics up 2morrow of the pipe plus where it comes from, if this is split would it cause a boost leak? performance issues?

sounds like the PCV

it plumbs in after the maf. a split would mean unmetered air being let into the system, so it would upset the ecu

sounds like the PCV

it plumbs in after the maf. a split would mean unmetered air being let into the system, so it would upset the ecu

Hi mate, ive just pulled it off the pipe is split in a few places and very brittle, was cracking when i removed it,, im going to order the part now, is it AUDI inly part? and would this cause boost issues, even though its the pvc system? thanks

jo.jpg

I need parts 2 5 and 9A 5and 2 broke when i removed 9a, would this affect my running? thanks

Also just rang AUDI it comes too just under 70 quid for them three hoses, plus o ring clip and jubilee,. cripes. ive spent loads on this car in the last month

, i would have thought i would of had engine codes come up though? or the guy fixing my car the other day, would have noticed it? :think:i found them in 5 mins of checking hoses over.

Last edited:
Hi mate thanks for that link, im tempted but want to keep the car standard, and want it done asap, so im thinking of getting the standard hoses as they will have them in tom,70 quid for a bit ofplastic/ rubber though lol

Do you know if this can affect boost? as i very confused, i have read it can, then i have read, its under no pressure? thanks

£70 for the item from audi? thats dear and itll be rubber so the same will happen again. my car came with a new item already fitted so ive not looked into it, but as for the other breather hoses that like to split ive been doing replacements in peroxide treated silicon hose, ie never need to be replaced again.

ill have to look at the breather on the side of the head too

as for boost, as i said above it will be unmetered air throwing the mixture completely off so yes it will effect performance. i dont know the ECU's strategies completely inside out, but if you were running badly lean i doubt it would allow full boost.... making it leaner

and whilst youre at it, check 6 on that list. one way valve that ends up going both ways. ive got three on order coming in today, very common also

From what I've read it can cause running issues due to the fact that the ECU can meter the pressure is the system. It comes off of the TIP and the inlet mani at some stage so there must be some pressure in the system. The ECU has thrown a code because of the split so it's monitoring it somehow.

I'll probably find a load of splits tomorrow when I come to do my catch can.

PS. it might be wise to clean out all the hoses before you fit your new ones to the system as they ca get full of gunk like this:

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

£70 for the item from audi? thats dear and itll be rubber so the same will happen again. my car came with a new item already fitted so ive not looked into it, but as for the other breather hoses that like to split ive been doing replacements in peroxide treated silicon hose, ie never need to be replaced again.

ill have to look at the breather on the side of the head too

as for boost, as i said above it will be unmetered air throwing the mixture completely off so yes it will effect performance. i dont know the ECU's strategies completely inside out, but if you were running badly lean i doubt it would allow full boost.... making it leaner

Hi mate thanks for that, the one that comes off the head into that disc shaped valve seems ok, are the parts, in silicone easy to get? and are they black/standard looking?

i only ask as some days it seems like my car does not boost as well, i had MAF checked, scanned, and when i recently had my camshaft adjuster changed thought that might had solved it,m but seems the same to me???,

Been an expensive month for me for sure lol

From what I've read it can cause running issues due to the fact that the ECU can meter the pressure is the system. It comes off of the TIP and the inlet mani at some stage so there must be some pressure in the system. The ECU has thrown a code because of the split so it's monitoring it somehow.

I'll probably find a load of splits tomorrow when I come to do my catch can.

PS. it might be wise to clean out all the hoses before you fit your new ones to the system as they ca get full of gunk like this:

Hi mate thanks, i noticed a bit of dryed gunk in my hose that perished nothing like that though, how would i clean the other out? thanks

Hi mate thanks for that, the one that comes off the head into that disc shaped valve seems ok, are the parts, in silicone easy to get? and are they black/standard looking?

i only ask as some days it seems like my car does not boost as well, i had MAF checked, scanned, and when i recently had my camshaft adjuster changed thought that might had solved it,m but seems the same to me???,

Been an expensive month for me for sure lol
expensive month as they strung you up with 6-7 hours of labour to do a vvt tensioner.

as for the silicon, only black, no chav rubbish going on, but you have to be picky where youre ordering it from as normal silicon has not resistant to breather fumes and oil mist at all and the stuff that is costs a lot more but hunt around and it shouldnt cost too much.

i recon your car has the typical split hoses, you loose performance all over the place and loose economy too

westle, that looks FIT!! yummy in my tummy

Burger sauce anyone :puke2:

Hi mate thanks, i noticed a bit of dryed gunk in my hose that perished nothing like that though, how would i clean the other out? thanks

You'll have to remove the hoses and give them a squirt with some cleaner and blast some water through them. Make sure you let them dry out if you do that though. It's up to you as it will be extra agro, hence why I'm ripping the whole lot out tomorrow.

expensive month as they strung you up with 6-7 hours of labour to do a vvt tensioner.

as for the silicon, only black, no chav rubbish going on, but you have to be picky where youre ordering it from as normal silicon has not resistant to breather fumes and oil mist at all and the stuff that is costs a lot more but hunt around and it shouldnt cost too much.

i recon your car has the typical split hoses, you loose performance all over the place and loose economy too

Hi mate i had 5 hours labour plus parts, was expensive but done now, plus 2x tires, + new batterycoming. now this a good grand gone :Flush: but still its done now,

Would you replace it all with silicone then? as i have ordered the pipes from Audi now, but would not want to replace them, and then more break? thanks,.

Last edited:
well, the silicon ones would just last indefinately. which hoses have you ordered exactly?

well, the silicon ones would just last indefinately. which hoses have you ordered exactly?

Hi in that picture i have ordered 2, 5, and 9A, the 2 and 5 broke when i was getting the 9a off, just broke in half, oh i have ordered the o ring and clips too,