S3 MAF reading

Lee H

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Did some logging last night on the MAF for the first time since owning the car for 4 months. It's not given me cause for concern and drives fine but I thought I'd check to make sure everything was healthy. Did a 4th gear run and logged until 6000rpm. The peak figure I saw was 152.5 g/s.

I understand a healthy, stock 225HP S3 should produce around 180 g/s. So based on the 0.8 x HP calculation my car is possibly producing only 190BHP.

What would cause the low MAF reading - is it likely to be shot? My car is '02 BAM and completely stock. 81,000 miles.

Is there anything else I can perform as a diagnostic check to identify the MAF as 'on the way out' or faulty? or maybe something else is causing the low reading.

Many thanks
Lee

You could;

-Unplug the MAF and see if the car drives differently
-Use some electrical contact cleaner to clean the MAF element

-You could remove your MAF and take it to Audi, GSF and Eurocarparts for money off a new MAF

original.aspx

original.aspx

original.aspx

original.aspx

Thanks for the cleaning quide, I'll give that a go - along with disconnecting it too. Buying a new one last resort!

Is the cleaning option reputed to be effective in general?

By the way, the chavved up motor on the Halfords can is an Evo 7.

The cleaning does work. I had no boost until 4k (mapped) , sprayed a bit of cleaner on ze MAF job done. 2400RPM = smiles

wowzers... even my golf 1.8t is pulling 156g/s... and im about to start winding the timing forward haha

Guys, what revs are you usually seeing your peak airflow figure?

Redline - 7000 RPM

Ok, cool. Do you think it's likely my MAF reading will increase to 170 - 180g/s with an extra 1000rpm?

At 4120rpm my reading is 104.67 g/s, 5080rpm it's 132.97, 5920rpm it's 152.5. So for every 1000rpm jump (after 4k) , the MAF value is increasing at least 20 g/s.

It will certainly increase, how much is a bit hard to say. Go out and log again, but take it to red line in 3rd.