Problem number 1 of ownership! Grinding noise and knocking noise help!!!!

hillg81

Reaction score
Bought the S3 3 weeks ago and noticed a knocking noise the day i drove it home!
Had it on my list to sort and today i think its gone slightly worse!

The knocking noise from passenger side front was once it was moving and going over any kind of bump or ripple in the road, sounds like metal against metal and like the top suspension bolt isnt tight enough etc or a ball joint etc etc.

Anyway was going to get it looked at on Saturday morning but drove too work today and went over a small speedbump into the car park and literally rolled over it and then there was a large metal grating noise from the front end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awful noise i literally nearly sh*t myself! I stopped straight away and got out, and nothing was hanging down or rubbing on floor so im puzzled as it had stopped when i got back in and drove off..............STRANGE!!!!!!!!!

Dropped it off at nationwide auto centre this morning across the road from workfor ease and due to not wanting to drive it as it was and still waiting to hear from them!

Told them i want genuine Audi parts fitting just hope i dont get rinsed :crying:

Last edited:
Prob be anti-roll bar bushes i had same on my Octavia Vrs that ive got for sale just done them all good now..

Better off fitting uprated ones if youre gonna keep it ive got H&R anti roll bars on my S3

Prob be anti-roll bar bushes i had same on my Octavia Vrs that ive got for sale just done them all good now..

All anti roll bars were done at TSR Performance last year buddy!

Weird things noises..

When i had my Octy on the ramp every thing looked fine even had the bar out testing things.. after changing both wishbones(had some wear anyway) also changed the Dog bone bush with Polyflex one still had the problem so settled on antiroll bar bushes all good now ..

Was a crazy noise though sounded like front end was loose almost...

Last edited:
small bet on wishbone bushes.

hopefully nationwide autocentre have got a clue what theyre doing!!

Weird things noises..

When i had my Octy on the ramp every thing looked fine even had the bar out testing things.. after changing both wishbones(had some wear anyway) also changed the Dog bone bush with Polyflex one still had the problem so settled on antiroll bar bushes all good now ..

Was a crazy noise though sounded like front end was loose almost...

Yep thats the kind of noise!
Sounds like the wheels going to come off !
Will find out shortly im hoping what its having fitted anyway!
The grating noise is strange though ideas?????????

I'd be interested to know as well, I've just bought some Powerflex ARB Bushes as I'm told that they're much better than standard. Mine has been getting quite a violent knocking noise to the front over speed bumps etc. too.

I had the same on my previous car (Golf 1.8T) and changing the Anti-roll Bar Bushes fixed the problem, but I'm just not feeling like it is the same cause this time.

Anti roll bar drop links x2 apparantly !
£100 audi parts and fitted at nationwide not bad price???
All anit roll bar bushes and bars were done last year so not that!

could be a top mount! i had a metalic grinding noise from my car was a anti roll bar bush ... good luck mate