A2 Is it any good

will_S3

Reaction score
Website
www.bladeice.com
Hi Guys

looking at getting a Audi a2 for the wife, not sure what they are like any ideas.

what extras are a must also which engine is best i was thinking about getting a 1.4 tdi 75bhp think and then chipping it

any info will be great thanks alot

will /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Great little car the fit and finish is far better than most hatchs. The only problem is the ride can be a bit choopy , but I have a sport model with the 17" alloys.

Great little car have owned two of them a 1.4SE Petrol and a 1.4TDI Sport. Because of the aluminium construction the car is particularly light and therefor either engine felt quite nippy in the car. Had a 1.6 Sport FSI as a courtesy car and they are little pocket rockets! Because of there high rooflined slab sided lightweight construction they do get blown about a bit on the motorway - a little daunting at first but you will get used to it. The 1.4 3 pot diesel responds well to a remap giving around 100-105bhp when finished and a very useful increase in performance. All in a well built and higly spec'd small hatchback with loads of quirky features but they are very pricey. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I don't have an A2 but have driven one - I never got used to the front pillars - very annoying.

I did have a 1.4tdi polo - same angine as the A2 - and I got a custom remap - it was putting out 95bhp and 220Nm as standard and 136bhp and 280Nm have the custom remap. It made a huge difference - didn't feel like a diesel after it - but you definitely need to upgrade the brakes if you do that - you can get serious fade in not a very long time.

ace cars.my dealer has the best deals on a2 colourstorm in the country guarenteed.nearly 4 grand saving.

Typical,
Go to Audi dealer to kick tyres on an S4 Avant, wife sees A2 and says " Ooo thats nice"

Now the proud owner of an ex-demo 03 A2 TDI 1.4 (75) SE c/w leather etc

very very impressed at the build quality
even better, I get shed loads of Brownie points from the missus

still looking for teh S4 Avant for me though !!

Hi there got an A2 1.6FSI courtesy car while my A4 was in getting a new gearbox and i was impressed by the inside build quality and the stereo system. Ride quality was good but the only thing i found was that the gearbox was very clunky and didnt like it at all. Other than that its quite a nice little run a round. Holds the road well and braking is excellent...... i really tried to make it lock up under sppen and it behaved itself impeccably so good all round except for the clucky gear box but that may have been just that one in particular. Good luck anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

yea mate ive just had a 1.4Tdi curtosy car, it had 300 miles on the clock the engine sounded really rough, and the gear box was really clunky!

Yeah the 1.6 FSI was nippy not great though but i hated the cluncky gearbox. Theres no way id part with my hard earned cash and buy one of them i dont care whether its Audi or not! Some people like them though i see enough about on the roads! each to their own.

Had one of the first A2s produced and we've owned it ever since. 1.4 litre SE model. Agree with most of the points made here:

Positives
- Build quality is fantastic
- Really neat design
- Comfortable driving position
- Unbelievable fuel economy
- Great in town and surprisingly good on motorway (have driven London to Paris without batting an eyelid)

Negatives:
- Nose heavy
- Short suspension travel = hard ride
- A-pillars create significant forward visibility problem

Other than that, i think this is the most under-rated car in production at the moment. So much better than first A-Class. Such a shame that Audi won't be replacing it. But aluminium makes it too expensive in this class of car. Really needs to a bit bigger, A3 spotback probably does the job better at a lower price.

I've driven one a while ago and I think its a great car. There's nothing I don't like about it.

For such a small car I was amazed by the amount of room at the back. It felt more spacious with more legroom than my A4 b5.

Same here, my family was looking into buying one but they didn't.do automatic.

got one as courtesy car at moment and apart from sounding awful ( ive got the disel) must admit quite impressed, still havent found the engine lol, you pull the lever in the car and the grill pops out with access to oil water, so how do i get to see the engine its got to have one somewhere

Bainsboy,
When you open the inspection flap at the front there are 2 grey knobs facing you, one at either side. Just turn these and the bonnet can be slid forward and then lifted away.
Easy really.

Sanny

cheers sanny i wondered what the where didnt want to try them in case oil or something came out, ill have ago 2moz. cheers

sanny forgot you said lifts away nearly dropped it, not sure if its good idea as if you broke down and aa came out you got to put it somewhere, must admit i like the car but little to loud for my liking as its diesel

Know what you mean. Innovation has to be applauded but Im thinking someone in the design office got a little bit too much length of leash with the A2. For example changing the fuel fllter is a minor nightmare that could easily have been avoided.
Sanny

I`ve driven many A2`s. I think that they let the Audi range down as a whole. It`s a market that Audi felt they 'had' to be part of

The build quality esp inside is awful IMO, its all cheap and nasty. Production of the A2 has ceased, about time too

I only had one as a courtesy car, but dont agree with the above comments as must admit i quite liked it, would i buy one though? no is the answer.

I thought the wife might like one, she hated it, I thought it was great, quirky looks but definitely a proper Audi, nothing shared apart from the engies with other members of VAG empire. They did a 1.4TDI with 90bhp before they stopped porduction.

I had a 1.4tdi (90ps) sport and it was just as solid as the 3 A4's, Cabriolet, A3 S-Line and the A6 I have at the moment.
Don't feel it lets the Audi range down at all, it is a great solid little car, the only thing that I wasn't too impressed with was the MPG, I used to get around 48mpg in ours which was only around 3mpg more than our A3 TDi S-Line with the DSG box.