Hesitation when pressing accelerator

Beef

Reaction score
Website
www.industrialaction.com
We've just bought this car, and it drives beautifully except for a hesitiation when pressing the accelerator from idle.

If you sit with the car in neutral and press the pedal, there is literally a 1/2 second delay before the engine revs.

When setting off in first this means you have to wait before lifting the clutch, or risk stalling (very embarrassing).

I have run a search and see other forums are suggesting the throttle body. The A2 is a 1.4 petrol on a 52 plate - any help much appreciated.

Cheers,

Beef

Well, a few months down the line and I'll answer my own question. The problem was caused by the throttle potentiometer.

It has taken this long to solve because I was completely thrown off scent by Bradford Audi - a mechanic there told me A2's don't have a throttle potentiometer and it was most likely a fuel injection problem. With VAG com showing no problems at all we've soldiered on and scratched our heads.

Last weekend I needed a replacement coil for my A4 which I sourced from Harrogate Audi. I took the A2 to collect the part and talked to the chap in the parts department about the problem. He told me that the A2 did indeed have a throttle potentiometer and that this could well be the problem. So I figured I'd gamble £58 and buy one.

It arrived yesterday, took 20 minutes to fit and the car is transfomed! No more revving to get her started and she's far more nippy. We may even get better fuel economy.

FYI, I've historically found Harrogate Audi to be very knowledgeable and they carry a good stock of parts.

Hope this helps someone else out.

Cheers,

Beef

my missus one does that as well, ok when driving, just initial pull off???
or maybe its her driving lol

Yes it is common to have a coil pack of throttle potentiometer problem neitrher are the most expensive part you will ever buy and both are easy to fit!!