Has anyone gone from an A3 to an A1?

dakmaster

Reaction score
I was wondering, is there any difference in cabin/wind noise when sat on the motorway, between the A3 and A1?

I did test drive an A1, but never got a chance to take it on the m/way.

Thanks

Well i'm about to do just that...

Bye-bye 1st gen S3 8P and hello A1 1.6 TDI Sport Sportback.

Already had a test drive and surprising fun considering its (lack of (to me) power. Lots of torque though. :racer:

I'll post a bit more after the 1st August by which point I will have been on the motorway a fair bit as i'm collecting the car somewhat of a drive away.

If you previously drove an A3 8L A3 then the exterior dimension of the car are shockingly similar (mm difference), it seems the A1 is not 'small' by any sense of the imagination, its just the 8P got fatter and a new 'model' slid in under its bulk, being almost the same size as its predicessor.:unsure:

Well i'm about to do just that...

Bye-bye 1st gen S3 8P and hello A1 1.6 TDI Sport Sportback.

Already had a test drive and surprising fun considering its (lack of (to me) power. Lots of torque though. :racer:

I'll post a bit more after the 1st August by which point I will have been on the motorway a fair bit as i'm collecting the car somewhat of a drive away.

If you previously drove an A3 8L A3 then the exterior dimension of the car are shockingly similar (mm difference), it seems the A1 is not 'small' by any sense of the imagination, its just the 8P got fatter and a new 'model' slid in under its bulk, being almost the same size as its predicessor.:unsure:
I look forward to your updates, i have a build week 37 for mine, so a good couple of months of yet:icon_thumright:

I can happily report that the A1 is quieter wind noise and tyres than my 8P S3 was on motorways.

Of course you have to appreciated I have a A1 Sport Sportback on 17" alloys with Sport suspension, given it is the 1.6 TDI and there were comments in the press about refinement I have to disagree as there is no engine noise to speak of, it is very refined at speed (being the 105 BHP no road tax veriety), at slow speeds it is diesel like, but what do you expect, after all its not a petrol engine!

Do please bear in mind that the S3 was shod with 225/40 R18's where as the A1 has 215/40 R17's, compared to the wider track of the S3 with bigger rubber and 4WD you would expect the S3 to hold the road and stick to it like hot snot to a hankie... :blownose:

... so of course the A1 is not as competent, but considering it is only marginally narrower then the previous 8L A3 in size the ride is excellent and only very slightly do you notice it skipping around on the road, but you would expect that given the ride is more supple and nowhere near as lowered as the S3.

If you compare the info here (Audi A3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Audi A1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) you see the A1 is around 8 inches shorter than the 8L but with other dimensions almost on par you would expect good handing compared to the 1st generation model given its a newer chassis - that will sadly need to be another persons test report.

Upshot, nothing to worry about at all, the car has all the attributes of the brand and certainly does feel as upmarket inside as the 8P did (mine was loaded with leather and buckets), but not when compared to the 8V (I sat in a LHD one at the dealers) for which this model raises the A3 bar yet again, but hey you have to wait for that model and the one I got has no road tax, amazing MPG, pre owned by Audi head office and I got it for a song.:salute:

'Nuff said.

Excellent, been lookng forward to your report:yahoo:
Congrats on your new purchase, is it fair to say are quite impressed with it? I see you have the tech pack and bose, two of the options i have gone for.
I would be interested to hear your thoughts on those too:thumbsup: Keep the reports coming, and enjoy your car.
Post some pics when you get the chance, cheers.
I can happily report that the A1 is quieter wind noise and tyres than my 8P S3 was on motorways.

Of course you have to appreciated I have a A1 Sport Sportback on 17" alloys with Sport suspension, given it is the 1.6 TDI and there were comments in the press about refinement I have to disagree as there is no engine noise to speak of, it is very refined at speed (being the 105 BHP no road tax veriety), at slow speeds it is diesel like, but what do you expect, after all its not a petrol engine!

Do please bear in mind that the S3 was shod with 225/40 R18's where as the A1 has 215/40 R17's, compared to the wider track of the S3 with bigger rubber and 4WD you would expect the S3 to hold the road and stick to it like hot snot to a hankie... :blownose:

... so of course the A1 is not as competent, but considering it is only marginally narrower then the previous 8L A3 in size the ride is excellent and only very slightly do you notice it skipping around on the road, but you would expect that given the ride is more supple and nowhere near as lowered as the S3.

If you compare the info here (Audi A3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Audi A1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) you see the A1 is around 8 inches shorter than the 8L but with other dimensions almost on par you would expect good handing compared to the 1st generation model given its a newer chassis - that will sadly need to be another persons test report.

Upshot, nothing to worry about at all, the car has all the attributes of the brand and certainly does feel as upmarket inside as the 8P did (mine was loaded with leather and buckets), but not when compared to the 8V (I sat in a LHD one at the dealers) for which this model raises the A3 bar yet again, but hey you have to wait for that model and the one I got has no road tax, amazing MPG, pre owned by Audi head office and I got it for a song.:salute:

'Nuff said.