Volks AutosChris Nott
    6th Gear

Status

Anyone using telephone prep high with an iPhone?

Hi all,

Interloper from the A3 forum here. Am looking at the new A3 which appears to have much the same technology as the A1 currently has and I have a question which no-one seems able to answer.

The top-end mobile telephone prep (high) uses a mobile data connection for things like Internet connectivity etc, and which requires either a phone which supports the SIM Access Profile over bluetooth, or alternatively you can put a SIM directly into the car itself for this connectivity.

This is fine, except that the iPhone, for reasons known only to Apple, doesn't support this bluetooth profile and thus won't work.

My question is, if I wanted to use an iPhone, but still wanted the advanced features offered by the high version of the telephone prep, could I use a dedicated SIM inserted into the car for this, but also connect my phone via bluetooth (in the 'old fashioned' way) for making and receiving calls?

Does anyone do anything like this or has experimented with it? I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has.

Thanks,
    Toby.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    You need to take the sim out of your phone each time and put it in the Sim slot on the dash

6th Gear

Status
    So basically, if you put a SIM card into the car, that's what it uses for everything and you can't then connect a phone via Bluetooth at the same time?

Gah, that sucks. So either I do without all the advanced connectivity of the high prep or I ditch the phone for one that supports the SIM access profile?

Seems a very daft way of doing things considering the iPhone is one of the most commonly used phones.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

5th Gear

Status
    its not audis fault its apple
    VCDS in North Wales
    2007 A6 3.0TDi S-Line Le Mans Avant , adaptive xenon lights, sunroof, privacy glass, towbar, led rears & randomly rear seat airbags
    1999 Honda S2000 , mcb low milage jap import, fully bushed, mugen exhaust <<< for sale! <<<
    2001 Passat TDi 130 Sport < sold!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/Passat/PB140007s.jpg

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo1 View Post
    So basically, if you put a SIM card into the car, that's what it uses for everything and you can't then connect a phone via Bluetooth at the same time?

Gah, that sucks. So either I do without all the advanced connectivity of the high prep or I ditch the phone for one that supports the SIM access profile?

Seems a very daft way of doing things considering the iPhone is one of the most commonly used phones.
    Yep ditch the iPhone and get a rSAP phone or don't use the 'High' features

Quote Originally Posted by Ste_Nova View Post
    its not audis fault its apple
    I think it's split responsibility - Audi's fault for not creating their software to work with HFP and Apple's fault for not making the iPhone rSAP compatible

6th Gear

Status
    I agree that Apple are being bloody-minded about not supporting rSAP, but it's also Audi's fault for designing a system which simply doesn't work with the single most popular phone on the planet. What kind of logic is that from them? How many customers are they going to piss off? How many man-years will their staff spend explaining to customers why their iPhone doesn't work with their fancy new car?

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo1 View Post
    I agree that Apple are being bloody-minded about not supporting rSAP, but it's also Audi's fault for designing a system which simply doesn't work with the single most popular phone on the planet. What kind of logic is that from them? How many customers are they going to piss off? How many man-years will their staff spend explaining to customers why their iPhone doesn't work with their fancy new car?
    F

For most people it will work perfect I know mine does in a1 & a6 95% will just want hands free calls and directory
    VCDS in North Wales
    2007 A6 3.0TDi S-Line Le Mans Avant , adaptive xenon lights, sunroof, privacy glass, towbar, led rears & randomly rear seat airbags
    1999 Honda S2000 , mcb low milage jap import, fully bushed, mugen exhaust <<< for sale! <<<
    2001 Passat TDi 130 Sport < sold!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/Passat/PB140007s.jpg

6th Gear

Status
    Oh yeah I know the basic functionality will work, but how many people will spec the high package, possibly on the advice of a salesman who doesn't know any better or doesn't care because he wants more commission, only to find their iPhone doesn't work with it. Just seems like Audi are making a rod for their own backs here.

I've read that, if you jailbreak, it's possible to get rSAP support on the iPhone but not on the 4S just yet.

6th Gear

Status
    The jb for 4S was released the other day - I have mine done

I know of the app you're talking about but there was some testing done on another forum and the results weren't pleasing unfortunately!

6th Gear

Status
    Interesting - do you have a link?

6th Gear

Status
    Pm incoming

6th Gear

Status
    BTW, I presume that, even with the high prep, you can still use a non-rSAP compatible phone and it'll work as it would with the low prep, just not permitting the extra functionality?

6th Gear

Status
    Yep